SIGNS OF CHILD ABUSE
The Mayo Clinic defines child abuse as “Any intentional harm or mistreatment to a child under 18 years old.”
The abuse is often performed by people the child knows and trusts like a parent, other relative, or teacher.
Several of these symptoms could occur at the same time:
- Sudden changes in behavior or school performance
- Problems that cannot be attributed to specific physical or psychological causes
- Behavior that is always watchful, as though preparing for something bad to happen
- Lacks adult supervision
- Is overly compliant, an overachiever, or too responsible
- Comes to school early, stays late, and does not want to go home.