SIGNS OF CHILD NEGLECT
Neglect is the ongoing failure to meet a child’s basic needs. It is the most common form of child abuse—in fact 1 in 10 children have experienced neglect.
Neglect can be hard to spot. Here are some of the basic signs:
- Frequently absent from school
- Begs or steals food or money
- Lacks needed medical care (including immunizations), dental care, or glasses
- Is consistently dirty and has severe body odor
- Lacks sufficient clothing for the weather
- Abuses alcohol or other drugs
- States that there is no one at home to provide care
Learn more about identifying child neglect from the Child Welfare Information Gateway.